On Mon Apr 11 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-04-11 10:04:28 -0500]:
> >
> > Thanks for the report, though I am surprised:  with my GNU Emacs 23.3.1
> > browse-url-url-at-point is anyway an autoloaded function. Which
> > version of emacs are you using?
>
> bzr tip; just bootstrapped.

Very strange! My GNU Emacs 23.3.1 has certainly an autoload cookie
for browse-url-url-at-point in browse-url.el.

I haven't used bzr emacs lately.

> also, is there a guide for upgrading my settings to the new git
> bbdb? quite a few symbols were removed, some have changed names;
> it would be nice if the old names were marked as obsolete aliases
> for the new ones so that emacs will warn me about them when I
> compile my .emacs. (if the variable's value's format has changed,
> it's ok to ignore it, but marking it as obsolete is a must).

Very often, the rewrite implied that the details of the
implementation have changed significantly (calling sequences of
functions, allowed values of variables, etc). In that sense, simple
aliases are often not possible.

Yet I agree that it will facilitate migration for long-time BBDB
users to put together a list summarizing how old variable and
function names have been replaced by new ones. Also, I can compile a
file bbdb-obsolete.el that declares all old bbdb variables as
obsolete that are not used anymore (or with an obsolete alias if
there is a new variable that provides, indeed, the same
functionality with a new name).

I've put this on my todo list!