Brett Presnell <presn...@stat.ufl.edu> writes:

> Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2011-04-06 15:22 +0800, Didier Verna wrote:
>>>   Not everybody agrees with this necessarily. I'm using BBDB much more
>>> often on my computers than anywhere else and I'm happy to update them
>>> manually from time to time on other devices.
>>
>> Sure. But these users can still use BBDB the way they intend to. Support
>> for an external format doesn't force them to use it.
>
> Have to agree with this.  I'm a long-time user of BBDB, but it has
> always been frustrating (and basically impossible) to try to sync
> information between BBDB and other contact database (essentially only
> BBDB to "other" is practical; true syncing just doesn't work).

I recently picked up the ancient bbdb-syncml[1] to see if it can be
fixed to work reliably. I adjusted it to use bbdb-vcard[2], and fixed
some minor issues. Currently a slow sync into an empty syncevolution is
working, sync with changes in syncevolution fails because bbdb-vcard
currently does not provide a way to to insert records the way I need
it -- getting this working shouldn't be a big change, though.

In case anybody wants to take a look, it's hosted at gitorious:
https://gitorious.org/bbdb-syncml/bbdb-syncml

Bernd

Footnotes:
[1]  http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb-syncml