Thanks for the bug report & fix.

> - Expansion of bbdb-auto-notes-rules looks cheap operation to me
>   so caching is unnecessary. Not worth the trouble of user having
>   to remember changing bbdb-auto-notes-rules-expanded to nil
>   whenever they change bbdb-auto-notes-rules.

I guess this might depend on various issues like number of patterns
and number of messages to browse. -- I have no strong feelings here.
Maybe the code for processing the patterns can be optimized such
that the overhead for expanding the patterns does not play any role.

> - Another annoyance is that FIELD could only name those in NOTES.
>   For example:
>
>   (setq bbdb-auto-notes-rules
>         '(("Organization" (".*" organization "\\&"))))
>
>   does not update the organisation of the record.

When I quickly looked through some folders, I did not have the
impression that Organization headers were used extensively.
In that sense, I am tempted to give this lower priority. But patches
are always welcome!

Anyway, the function bbdb-auto-notes does not care about note fields
vs. other fields. It would be bbdb-annotate-notes and/or
bbdb-merge-note that need to be modified.