Rasmus <ras...@gmx.us> writes:

> Thorsten <quintf...@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> hi list,
>> I know there was a similar question in this group, but unfortunately I
>> don't find it anymore.
>>
>> I successfully installed bbdb 3 for the use with gnus. But the default
>> behaviour might almost be considered a bug - the whole workflow in gnus
>> is destroyed by bbdb constantly asking if I want to add some post or
>> email author to the database. I almost never want to do that.
>>
>> Therefore I have two questions:
>>
>> 1. how can I turn this behaviour off?
>>
>> 2. is it reasonable to habe that kind of behaviour as a default? Is
>>    there anybody who would want that?
>
> I use the following snip in my gnus.  Ideally, I would also want it to
> only ask when receiving "real mails", i.e. not mailing list etc., but I
> haven't gotten an idea on how to do it yet.
>
> ** Santinize the BBDB
> I don't care about people from usenet. Don't ask me! Always ask in all
> other cases.
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (defun bbdb/gnus-update-selectively ()
>   "Update BBDB record selectively"
>   (interactive)
>   (if
>       (gnus-news-group-p gnus-newsgroup-name)
>       (setq bbdb/gnus-update-records-p nil)
>     (setq bbdb/gnus-update-records-p 'query)
>     ))
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook 'bbdb/gnus-update-selectively)

Thanks, thats another possible approach, though I would prefer the
Hollywood approach: don't ask me (bbdb), I ask you.

However, even if I ask bbdb to add e.g. a newsgoup poster - I never want
this cryptic gmane email addresses in bbdb.
That would be even better, if bbdb only acts when I press a key in the
gnus summary buffer, and then only offers 'real' email-addresses as
candidates, ignoring the cryptic newsgroup adresses.

cheers
--
Thorsten