Eric Abrahamsen <e...@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 11 2011, Thorsten wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> Problem solved, now I can use gnus without any (unwanted) interference
>> from bbdb again. Only have to find out, how the wanted interference
>> works.
>>
>> Cheers
>
> I had the same irritations as you, and found the same solution. My
> "wanted interference" setup is this:
>
> (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "\"") 'bbdb-mua-display-records)
>
> I don't have bbdb show me sender information automatically. I hit this
> key when I do want to see that information, and the nice thing is, if
> anyone in the message headers is not in the database, it asks me if I
> want to add them. That's just the right amount of interference, for me.
> You might have to set `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p' to '(query .
> create) to get it to work exactly like that.
>
> Good luck,
> Eric

That kind of default reminds me of the old Emacs default to not allow
copy&paste between Emacs and other apps. Probably countless Emacs
newbies turned away from Emacs because of this...

Its a kind of a bondage & submission approach to usability - make them
beginners suffer at first ... (just kidding ;)

Thanks for you tips, I just copied your code to my .gnus and it works
like you described it, and now I do have the 'wanted interference' I expected.

cheers
--
Thorsten