"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun Nov 20 2011 Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
>> I got some weird behavior in bbdb3:
>>
>> When I try to complete entries without organization everything is
>> normal, I get " FirstName LastName <mail> ", but on entries that have an
>> organization set I just get " mail ".
>>
>> I don't suppose this is a feature? Or did I miss some customization
>> variable?
>
> I guess you need to be more specific here. What command do you
> execute under what circumstances? What are your BBDB settings? If
> the command was bbdb-complete-mail, I do not quite see how you could
> get a mail address not surrounded by "<...>". (Your mail says that
> instead you had NO-BREAK SPACEs, which is yet more strange. BBDB
> does not deal with the NO-BREAK SPACE character anywhere.)
>
> Roland

I put in the NO-BREAK SPACE to avoid formatting quirks and ambiguity
around the quotation marks, didn't actually avoid confusion, huh? :)

I attached an example bbdb file with a few entries and a recipe to
reproduce the behavior.
The steps are:
mkdir fakehome
# install bbdb into "fakehome/lisp"
cp .bbdb recipe.el fakehome
cd fakehome
HOME=$(pwd) emacs -Q -l recipe.el

Most of the contacts offer just the mail address on as completion:

In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
alice....@mail.org                     james.sm...@mail.org
Emmanuel Leblanc <manu.lebl...@mail.com>
emmanuel....@uni.fr                    Anon Ymos <a...@ymos.com>
jane....@mail.org

Tested with GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 and 23.3.1

--
Philipp Haselwarter