"Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun Nov 20 2011 Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
>>> When I try to complete entries without organization everything is
>>> normal, I get " FirstName LastName <mail> ", but on entries that
>>> have an organization set I just get " mail ".
>>
>> I attached an example bbdb file with a few entries and a recipe to
>> reproduce the behavior.
>>
>> Possible completions are:
>> alice....@mail.org                     james.sm...@mail.org
>> Emmanuel Leblanc <manu.lebl...@mail.com>
>> emmanuel....@uni.fr                    Anon Ymos <a...@ymos.com>
>> jane....@mail.org
>
> I am sorry, this has nothing to do with the organization field.

Yea, I saw that…

> For example, Alice Doe does not have an organization field.
> What matters is that some names are also part of the email address.
> It seems you want bbdb-mail-allow-redundancy set to t.

That does precisely what I want!

> Actually, I do not know why this variable's default is nil
> (well, I guess its default was always nil...)
>
> Would anybody mind if I set it to t? I guess that's more often
> matching the users' expectations.
>
> Roland

I'd strongly recommend changing the default, the way it is now is highly
counter-intuitive (for me) and as often, it's hard to find the right
option if you don't know what you're looking for (in my case the only
obvious difference between the contacts the organization).

thanks,

--
Philipp Haselwarter