On Thu Aug 30 2012 Roland Winkler wrote:
> On Fri Aug 31 2012 Leo wrote:
> > On 2012-08-30 23:27 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> > > Should bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p turned into a list instead of a
> > > cons pair to offer yet more flexibility?
> >
> > The level of indirection here looks like a sign of over-engineering. We
> > should make the user commands (bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender etc)
> > straightforward to understand and customise without needing to read too
> > many places.
>
> My intention was to have one user variable
> bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p for all MUA commands so that all these
> commands behave similarly according to what the user wants. What do
> you propose instead more specifically?

I guess I should mention here one more thing:

The MUA commands of BBDB come in "sets":

- bbdb-mua-display-records, bbdb-mua-display-sender,
  bbdb-mua-display-recipients

- bbdb-mua-annotate-sender, bbdb-mua-annotate-recipients

- bbdb-mua-edit-field, bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender,
  bbdb-mua-edit-field-recipients

bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p controls the behavior of all these
commands. Among other things, this also ensures that these sets of
commands behave consistently the same (as compared to having
separate user variables for each of these commands).

On the other hand: a too sophisticated scheme for customizing these
commands beyond bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p does not make sense
because each of these commands has just a few lines of code. (I went
through some effort to separate user commands from the nitty-gritty
low-level details.) Thus it is easier to write a new command fitting
specific needs than writing a sophisticated customization for some
user variable.