On 2012-08-31 23:28 +0800, Roland Winkler wrote:
> The MUA commands of BBDB come in "sets":
>
> - bbdb-mua-display-records, bbdb-mua-display-sender,
>   bbdb-mua-display-recipients
>
> - bbdb-mua-annotate-sender, bbdb-mua-annotate-recipients
>
> - bbdb-mua-edit-field, bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender,
>   bbdb-mua-edit-field-recipients
>
> bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p controls the behavior of all these
> commands. Among other things, this also ensures that these sets of
> commands behave consistently the same (as compared to having
> separate user variables for each of these commands).

There are two groups of commands:

- one to display contact info
- one to update contact info

The first group should display info without querying users for anything
and it should also display something when some contacts are not in the
database.

  (defadvice bbdb-mua-display-sender (after sender-not-found-feedback activate)
    "Give user feedback when senders cannot be found in BBDB."
    (when (and (eq (ad-get-arg 0) 'search)
               (not ad-return-value))
      (let ((names (mapconcat 'car (bbdb-get-address-components 'sender) ", ")))
        (message-nolog "%s not found in BBDB" names))))

The second group let users update existing contacts as well as adding
new ones i.e. it should ask the users to create new entries.

These commands are infrequently used i.e. the ability to customise them
is not very important for me if they have good defaults. I hadn't
customised any of these commands in the 4+ years I was using BBDB2.

HTH,
Leo