On Sun Oct 14 2012 Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Now completion does nothing (just shows the possibilities when
> there is more than one) when I try it.

What are you trying to do / expecting to get when BBDB opens a
window with possible completions?

For me, the completions buffer says at the top the usual two lines
of any completions buffer

  Click <mouse-2> on a completion to select it.
  In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

When I follow this recipe I get what I want (and what was promised).
What do you get?