On Thu 10 Oct 2013, Sean Sieger wrote:

> Andy Moreton <andrewjmore...@gmail.com> writes:
>     Mingw tools understand Win32 paths. In order to work with POSIX paths,
>     you need to use the MSYS tools that are available from the same site as
>     mingw. Something like this:
>
>     # open an MSYS bash shell (usually c:\MinGW\MSYS\1.0\bin\bash.exe)
>     cd bbdb/lisp
>     make --makefile=makefile-temp EMACS=/c/emacs/emacs-24.3/bin/emacs
>
>     The emacs repo has some instructions on how to setup the tools to
>     build emacs itself using mingw/msys tools (see nt/INSTALL).
>
>     A much better approach would be to create an emacs ELPA package for
>     bbdbv3, as that would be able to compile and install the lisp and docs
>     without requiring any tools outside a running emacs (even on Windows).
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Andy does that work for you?  Can you compile BBDB with MinGW?  I
> can't.

I've rechecked that the elisp files can be byte compiled with a simple
recipe, assuming you have the following tools:
 - Emacs installed at c:\emacs\emacs-24.3\bin\emacs.exe
 - MinGW installed at c:\MinGW
 - MSYS bash:         c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe
 - MSYS make:         c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\make.exe

1) Open a Windows Command window (cmd.exe) and run MSYS bash:
  C:\>
  C:\> c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\bash.exe --norc
  bash-3.1$

2) In MSYS bash, set the path and run MSYS make:
  bash-3.1$
  bash-3.1$ PATH=/c/mingw/msys/1.0/bin:/c/mingw/bin:$PATH
  bash-3.1$ cd /c/emacs/src/bbdb/lisp
  bash-3.1$ make --makefile=makefile-temp EMACS=/c/emacs/emacs-24.3/bin/emacs

This byte compiled all of the elisp files for me without complaint. I
don't use bbdb, so I've no idea if this results in a working bbdb.

I note that the bbdb TODO file has "Get BBDB on the GNU ELPA" which
is definitely a good idea and would make it easier to use this package.

    AndyM