On Fri Mar 28 2014 Steven Arntson wrote:
> The explanations I've found about how to do this involve 'C-o' to
> invoke 'bbdb-insert-new-field'. However, this doesn't seem to be
> the correct approach for v.3. Typing 'M-x bbdb-insert-new-field'
> gives me a message of "No match" in the minibuffer.

Could it be you have some outdated documentation for BBDB v2?
Use bbdb-insert-field bound to `i'.

The menu bar has an item `BBDB'.  When you browse through this menu,
it gives you the most important commands as well as their respective
keybindings.  Also, you can use minibuffer completion to learn about
BBDB commands.

There is not yet an info manual for BBDB 3.  The old manual for BBDB 2,
which you seem to have, is of little value for v3 because too many
things have changed from v2 to v3.