For some reason the version of BBDB I got from M/ELPA came with a
"manual" that contains only a single sentence, which is "The first
chapter is the only chapter in this sample."

I'm running emacs in an environment without a menu bar, and have used
minibuffer completion a few times, but sometimes I still can't figure
things out. Your advice to use 'i' works sometimes. Other times I get a
message of "Field [fieldname] already exists." In this case, I guess the
field "organization" has already been created, but is empty, so I can
neither create it nor move the point to it to 'e' edit it.

Perhaps most useful would be if someone knew where I could get some v.3
documentation? I don't know where to look.

Thank you!
-steven