On Fri Mar 28 2014 Steven Arntson wrote:
> For some reason the version of BBDB I got from M/ELPA came with a
> "manual" that contains only a single sentence, which is "The first
> chapter is the only chapter in this sample."

Yes, the current info pages of BBDB v3 are just a stub.
(Volunteers welcome!)

> I'm running emacs in an environment without a menu bar,

>From the Emacs info pages (unless you customized Emacs not to show
any menu bar)

     On a text terminal, you can use the menu bar by typing `M-`' or
  <F10> (these run the command `tmm-menubar').  This lets you select a
  menu item with the keyboard.  A provisional choice appears in the echo
  area.  You can use the up and down arrow keys to move through the menu
  to different items, and then you can type <RET> to select the item.
  Each menu item is also designated by a letter or digit (usually the
  initial of some word in the item's name).  This letter or digit is
  separated from the item name by `==>'.  You can type the item's letter
  or digit to select the item.

> and have used minibuffer completion a few times, but sometimes I
> still can't figure things out. Your advice to use 'i' works
> sometimes. Other times I get a message of "Field [fieldname]
> already exists." In this case, I guess the field "organization"
> has already been created, but is empty, so I can neither create it
> nor move the point to it to 'e' edit it.

If the organization field was empty, it would be deleted
automatically.  A typical BBDB record looks like the following

Foo, Bar - Org1, Org2, Org3
       phone (home):  123 4567
     address (home): street1
                     City
                     Emacs
               mail: ema...@example.com
                AKA: baz1; baz2
              notes: This is a note.

Here the organiztions are "Org1, Org2, Org3".  Put point on the
field you want to edit, then run bbdb-edit-field bound t `e'.