I fixed several problems with BBDB 3.

On Tue Apr 8 2014 i...@iankelling.org wrote:
> I found a bug: Using (first . last) name arg to
> bbdb-create-internal fails.
>
> An example of the error::
> (error "type mismatch: expect (or nil (cons string string)), got
> `(Bob .  Dole)'")

Thanks, that was indeed a silly bug.  I fixed it different from your
patch that would fail for records without a name.  Along the way, I
also rewrote bbdb-check-type which was way too complicated.

Please check that now this works as expected.

On Sun Mar 30 2014 Steven Arntson wrote:
> Here's my steps to produce the problem. Starting from *BBDB*
> buffer, I hit 'c' to create an entry. Prompted for "Name" I enter
> "Fake Entry" and his RET. Prompted for "Organizations" I enter
> nothing, just hit RET. Prompted for "email" I enter
> "f...@entry.org" and hit RET. I RET through the remainder of the
> preset fields, to conclude entering the data.

Thank you, this was a bad bug which shows up only with released
versions of GNU Emacs.  This should be fixed now.  Also, the trunk
now includes a command bbdb-fix-records to fix this problem.
(Maybe, one day I'll have to extend this command to fix other
problems, too.)

On Sun Mar 30 2014 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> > bbdb-separator-alist defines the separator for almost all fields
> > to be ", ".  Only for AKAs it is "; ".  I do not know anymore
> > how this came about.  But I find it confusing, and I am thinking
> > about changing the default to ", " for all fields.
> >
> > Thoughts or comments?
>
> Yes please! That has tripped me up a couple of times, and seems pretty
> arbitrary.

Done.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        Be more careful that empty strings do not pollute the data base.
        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-list-strings): New function.
        (bbdb-record-set-field): Use it.
        (bbdb-record-set-xfield): Clean up.
        * lisp/bbdb-com.el (bbdb-fix-records): New command.
        (bbdb-read-organization, bbdb-complete-mail): Check emacs version
        properly.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        Check type of record data structures more carefully.
        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-check-type): Simplify.  New arg `extended'.
        * lisp/bbdb-com.el (bbdb-create-internal): Bug fix.

2014-04-12  Barak A. Pearlmutter  <ba...@cs.nuim.ie>
        * lisp/Makefile.am: Include makefile-temp in distribution.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-site.el.in: Be more verbose about what we want.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/makefile-temp: Obey proper dependencies.  Clean up.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb-vm.el, m4/emacs_vm.m4: Require vm-autoloads.

2014-04-12  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-separator-alist): Treat AKAs consistent with
        other fields.

BBDB is available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/
To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git