At 07:40 +1000 9/9/08, Charlie Garrison wrote:
>On 8/9/08 at 12:48 AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Is there any way to have column numbers on a document?
>
>What exactly are you looking for? If you want tab columns
>numbered, just do it yourself at the top of the document:

I suspect he's looking for a way to display tab separated values, the kind that
often show up in transmitted data from a measuring device. I once used an
editor like that - Nisus 4 - to display assembly language output and the best I
have today is a full fledged spreadsheet. BBEdit is just not capable especially
when column 1 consists of text that has a wide range of string lengths.

I have been asking for a set of variable width tab stops, like those on a
typewriter, with one setting for display of a whole file.  The universal answer
is "who would ever want that?" or "That's a job for a word processor, not a
spreadsheet." I have no need to print or publish. I just need to review data so
I can process it with perl or something else. The tab stops could be set with a
special line at the top of the file.

But I'm stuck on 10.3.9 for other reasons so it really doesn't matter any more.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--