On 02/12/2009, at 15:53 , Charlie Garrison wrote:

> On 1/12/09 at 5:25 PM -0700, le...@gmail <gkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's really no reason for an editor not to automatically add
>> "</div>" when I type "<div" or to add "</p>" when I type "<p"
>
> I must be missing something magical from other programs. Don't
> clippings achieve that?
[snip]
> So clippings give me more choice with fewer keystrokes. BBEdit
> does auto-completion for me, but it does it the way I want
> rather than making me work the way it wants. I have to agree
> with other posters, I've never seen an automatic auto-complete
> that does what I want. I spent as much time (maybe more) fixing
> its mistakes than I saved.

<aol>me too!</aol>

Editors that insert a closing tag on my behalf the moment I type an opening
tag, irk me. In most cases the keystroke to skip over the closing tag requires
more hand-movement than simply typing the closing tag in the first place.

As an example of the <p> tag, simply do this in BBEdit:
1) In preferences -> Editing: General, set "Show text completions" to be "After
a delay in typing"
2) Select File->New->HTML Document
3) In the document, start typing p_class
4) press TAB
5) Marvel at how you now have a complete paragraph block with class attribute,
and can easily tab between the fields!

Then to break up that paragraph into two pieces, simply type "</p>[enter]<p>".
How easy was that?

Alex