On Jul 19, 2011, at 6:45 PM, David Kelly wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:34 PM, Warren Michelsen wrote:
>
>> Ummm, here's a question... The BBE license I last recall reading permitted
>> two copies of BBEdit to be installed. Back when I ran my own server, I had
>> BBE installed both on it and my workstation. That made BBE quite a bargain.
>
> We could all go and read our license files and find out but that might cut
> the thread short.  :-)
>
> IIRC the license was for 1 machine at a time no matter how many you have. A
> year or two or so ago one user popped up here (probably on the other list
> server) and was unhappy that the application was actually checking for
> another copy of itself running on the network as he wanted to edit on two
> Macs at the same time.

I know BBEdit used to complain (v 6? v7?) when you launched the THIRD instance
of BBedit. I even posted about it because it still flagged up even if one of
the other instances was on a machine where the active user was not the one
using BBEdit.

(I login to mac mini, launch bbedit, do some stuff. walk off. Kid logs in to
mini via FUS and then I go to my laptop and launch BBEdit. Everything is
fine.then I launch it on my desktop and it complains). I have to remember that
I launched it on the mini (mate last month) and then go kick the kid of, FUS to
my account, quit BBEdit, and get back to work. I'm not complaining, much, it's
fair to whine at the third copy, I just wish it could have checked if the other
machines had the app actually available, but I understand that introduces
problems.

> But I have a related question: Is same price to buy a new license as to
> upgrade an old. So what is the advantage of upgrade between now and October
> when the new license's discount goes away? For instance some are already
> griping that 10 is different than 9. If I upgrade 9 to 10 can I still use 9
> if I wish? If I buy 10 does it somehow interfere with my license to 9 or can
> I run both as I wish, possibly at the same time?

Well, if you buy 10 as a separate product you should be able to continue to run
9 as you own two separate licenses. If you upgrade? I dunno, it would seem kind
of silly to restrict it with the way the MAS versions works.

> As for editing of privileged files, thats not much of an issue for me.
> However I often invoke BBEdit from the command line as much easier than going
> to Finder to find my place to double-click the file.

you can easily install the command line tools with the MAS version.

I edit privileged files occasionally, though I could just do it with MacVIM I
guess. In fact, I probably usually do so.

--
C-3PO: We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.