Gentlemen, thank you very much for your assistance on this and my
apologies for not getting back sooner--life and 4 kids (one of them
brand new) gets in the way sometimes.

John, your solution worked very well for me.  I replaced $wordlist
with a hash that is one-up numbered to show the global frequency of
the word (from a different project, not mine) as compared to the
frequency within the files I am checking.

Ronald, I did my best to get the regex to work with the language I am
surveying (Urdu) but could not find the correct unicode range.  I
tried x{0600-06FF} as well as x{Arabic} and {InArabic}, but no dice.
All of the glyphs and graphemes come from Arabic, maybe I am just not
working the regex correctly-->a very good possibility.

Robert, the database is being worked on now... :-)  This project is to
help fix some immediate issues, the database will be to replace some
of the legacy systems that need to be shown the door.

François, thanks for that link--good stuff on there.  I have not poked
around on the 'net for any Perl stuff in awhile now, will have to
spend some time on that one!

Sincerely,

Spencer Stone