On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Steven <katesglad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to remove a date string from an SQL file.
>
> I have ,'\d\d\d\d\-\d\d\-\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d', as the string I wish to
> replace with  ,
>
> It does not like that.

What does "does not like that" mean? That it finds no matches? Or do
you see something that indicates an error?

> I assume I have to \- because - is a character grep uses

You should generally not need to escape the hyphen outside of
character classes (enclosed between [ and ]).

And to get help with this problem you really do need to provide an
example of the data you're trying to match against.

-link