Surely this is a pipe dream, but my team and I were revisiting the age-old
tabs vs. spaces debate again this morning, and I once again lamented the
fact that "Elastic Tab Stops" have never become more of a thing in
programming editors. The basic idea is that a [tab] character no longer
represents a fixed number of spaces, but rather dynamically indents to
match [tab] characters found on preceding and following lines. Here's the
inventor's description and a demo (from 2006!) for
reference: http://nickgravgaard.com/elastictabstops/

I'd love for this idea to spread-- in particular to BBEdit. ;-)

Slightly OT: As much as I love BBEdit, editors like Sublime Text, Brackets
and Atom that offer extreme "modding" capability are starting to become
more appealing to me. The Atom community for example, already has this
elastic tabs idea in the works:
http://discuss.atom.io/t/elastic-tabstops/16. More generally, the issue
isn't that I want a TON of bells and whistles in my editor, it's that I
increasingly want the ability to cherry pick the 2 or 3 that remove the
maximum amount of pain from my day. So far I've made the choice to largely
align my workflow with what BBEdit has available, but the venn diagram of
(BBEdit's features) and (Brian's preferences) may be starting to diverge.
The troubling part is that there's nothing I can do about that but post
this kind of feature request here and hope enough other people do too that
it makes financial sense for Bare Bones to do something about it. (Or
switch editors, which I don't even want to contemplate.)