> There is a way to make feature requests.

> The better job you do of describing
> the feature, why you want it and the easier you make it for some
> one a BBEdit have all of the information on hand, the more
> likely you will gain some traction

Hi Bill.

I've done that plenty of times, as poor Patrick will certainly attest.
There's a big problem with that approach though; it's private and doesn't
"gain traction" at all. It's unlikely that BB is going to implement a
feature for a single person, but if there's grassroots support for it that
changes the return on BB's effort to implement it.

Or put another way: Emailing them doesn't get the idea in front of other
users' eyes. Tech support makes sense to do one-on-one, but as a developer
myself I'd much prefer feature requests to be public exactly to reduce the
load of managing them by condensing interest into individual threads. We'll
never know how many past or future emails BB has to deal with (or ignore)
about elastic tab stops, but anyone else who finds this (Google searchable)
thread will have a place to chime in easily. The will also be able to gauge
how much interest both the community, and Bare Bones, have in it.

Thanks for the reminder about policy though. I'll try not to upset the
balance in the future, but I can't be responsible for anyone else posting
here about wanting elastic tab stops now-- I'm afraid the damage is done.