Throwing my thoughts in the ring, I use BBEdit extensively for nearly
everything I do. My primary activities are in the embedded programming
domain, and I use it heavily in Linux kernel driver programming. I
regard the Mac and BBEdit as a superior platform (for me) for Linux
kernel development than Linux itself; I know that would be considered
blasphemy by some of the community, but I care about effectiveness and
it works for me. Also, I do a fair amount of pure bare-metal coding
with it.  I do Python test frameworks for my work. And some standard
LAMP stack coding. And then there's documentation in Markdown and
reStructuredText.

In short, BBEdit is my swiss-army-knife for getting things done. It's
language and style agnostic. It's got a thin footprint. I can open
100s of files in dozens of document windows. It has a project
management structure that just works but doesn't give my computer fits
(I don't know if it is still an issue, but 10 years ago, trying to
open the Linux kernel as a project in Eclipse ment my computer would
grind for 40 minutes before I could touch a line of code). And it
works the way I do - centralized on my Mac but attached and working
with multiple computers and VMs.

Features I use most:
* Powerful searching - multiple files, projects, single file. Very
flexible to tell it what to search and in what files. And it remembers
your history.
* Command-line starting - I can ssh into my Linux development machine,
type "bbedit filename.c" and though some shell script magic it can ssh
back to my Mac and open the file remotely in BBEdit. Same deal with
using it as my CSCOPE_EDITOR.
* Projects
* Network - Editing works the same no matter if it's a local file, a
file over NFS or SFTP.
* Languages - A typical project for me includes C, C++, Python,
Makefiles, CMake, Bash or Ash scripts, ASM, Markdown, HTML, CSS, and
PHP. BBEdit lets me work seamlessly with all of it.
* And it's good at the small stuff - I use it often for processing log
files, or even silly things like reformatting emails with inserting
quote marks '> ' using the "Prefix/Suffix Lines..." feature in the
Text menu. It's easier than using awk/sed.

Use it or don't use it, doesn't matter to me. I will use it because
it's the best tool for the job.