Thanks for writing Manfred :-)

***You would no doubt benefit greatly from his book : A Biodynamic Farm.***

This was first on my list already, with many close seconds.

***Incidentally, his 4-hr. presentation , "basic, and advanced,biodynamics" was professionally recorded, and tapes are still available i believe.***

Where could I find this? This would be good for my dh to listen to in the car as well.

***Share your soil test results with the list?***

Ha! What soil tests. This we are working on. So, would the county ag extension service down the road be the best place to get this from? We had planned on this, but then put it off, as we weren't sure if there was a better way, and didn't want to become confused with all of the fertilizer reccomendations we are sure to get. However, if this is the best option, we will just nod politely and then do our own thing (something we are getting to be very good at in recent years).

***As for the goat manure, depending on how densely it is packed, and how large an area it comprises, i would add, in place, the Steiner remedies ....prepared by a reputable practitioner...***

When does this need to be done? Now - right before we plant - naked under a full moon ;-) ?

***If you can afford the time, and you're short on funds anyway, keenly examine what grows on at least some of the fields as they are now. Note the types of weeds prevalent, and get a book... "weeds and what they tell"...E.Pfeiffer, and ask further questions of the list, too. Leave them alone till you need to bring them into "production"***

I will get the book. Nothing much has been grown on the fields here in a few years due to  the previous family having to take care of a dying parent. Most of it is pasture, some alfalfa, and the rest I am not sure, just whatever native plants have taken over. It will definately help to get them identified.
We are only planning on planting the 2 acre garden area this year, so we will have plenty of time to get the rest identified during this next year.

***(What kind of equipment do you have?)***

I need to get out to the barn and make an inventory. I know we have 2 tractors, a hay bailer, and various other tractor implements, but I don't know just what right yet. The previous owners left it all for us, along with 11 nubian goats, a herd of barn cats, about 30 chickens, and a completely useless bunny which my children just love (which I guess makes him not quite useless).

***Certainly abide as closely as practicable to the planting/sowing schedule in the Stella Natura calendar, and learn what those celestial factors are as you go along.***

Yeah, this is where all that heavy learning comes into play. When I start reading the astronomy stuff, my brain fries up! I guess it just seems pretty confusing to a newbie, so much to learn. I will definately follow the calander though.

***As an alternate, or additional animal presence,... you may have heard of the movable, human scale, "chicken tractor:"... basically variations of a movable enclosure with a secure hutch included. These are moved bit by bit down the field, feeding and replenishing as they go.***

Right. At the moment, the chickens are free ranged during the day, spending most of their time in the garden area. We lock them up at night. Would this be good to continue, or would a chicken tractor be better? Personally, I think it's pretty cool to have chickens come running up to me everytime I or my children go out the back door. They have really been a lot of fun.

***A byword is not to include manure from animals which have conventional deworming compounds passing through them***

Not a problem. I got lucky in that the previous owner didn't use such things. I thought I was the only other person alive who doesn't believe in vaccinations at all, including for animals, but she was 'natural' enough that the goats have been raised without vaccines, dewormers, etc. They are extremely healthy too!

***Continue to ask specific questions. ...And thrill to the inevitable variation of opinion/insight!***

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!
I love varying opinions/insight. They always help me to open my mind to new ideas, or help me get clear and strong in my own beliefs, both good things, I believe.

Thanks Manfred :-)

Jennifer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Click here for the best diet and nutrition information you will ever find!
www.westonaprice.org
"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In
both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be
most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become
unwitting victims of the darkness."
-- William O. Douglas