Allan, at one time you mentioned spiral gardens. Did you ever put in a
spiral garden?

Jane
----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Balliett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: Tractor Turnaround space Re: introduction and a WHOLE
lottaquestions

Woody and/or Barbara said:

>Say 40% of that is paths and tractor turnaround space, and you've
>got 12,000 square feet of bed space,

I'm in the process of fencing a 7 acre garden. I plan on spading down
cover crops and using a bedshaper for the first couple of years, but
I also plan on getting the tractor out of the garden as soon as
possible. The goal is permanent raised beds.

Right now the garden area is too wet to have the tractor in to do a
real-world tryout, but I really need to be determining how much space
to leave for turnaround. In a way, I'd prefer to work to the fence
and back out of the row, but I have to admit that in the long run,
that's a literal pain in the neck and restrictive (or impossible
later in the season.)

How much land, my friends, do YOU set aside for end-of-row tractor
turnabout? (ouch! with implements, of course.) I guess I'm hoping
against hope that a few have worked out tricks that will keep me from
setting all that fenced garden aside of tractor geometry a couple of
times a season.

-Allan