Allan Balliett wrote:

> I'm going a little nutty right now, trying to learn a jargon so I can
> speak with people who are quite a drive from me and who really don't
> have the time to spoon feed the ignorant.
>
> I'm looking to buy a few yards of 'crushed gravel sand' to use in a
> potting mix formulation recommended by Heinz Grotzke in "Biodynamic
> Greenhouse Management."
>
> So far, I've been offered trap dust and 1/4inch (and lower) stuff
> from a realatively close-by quarry. If I can communicate screen size,
> I think I can buy what I need.
>
> AND, I would assume that it's cool to take basalt instead of granite, eh?
>
> Which is to say that I've found a source for basalt trap dust down
> here. My recollection is that it tests very highly on the Callahan
> scale (paramagnetics), but I'll have to have it tested again.
>
> Thanks
>
> _Allan

Hi Allan I use a basalt rock dust in my potting mixes . i also add about
10% fine clay dust from my own subsoil. This brings in a bit more
phosphate and the clay infuence to a potting mix . For sand i use about
10% any more then that and your seedling trays become too heavy to lift
and carry.
The best seed sowing/potting mix is made with leaf mould. Each year I
make up a ix to be used the following year.To a collection of 60%
softwood and 30% hard wood  leaves mixed with seed free grass or a green
crop. I add 10% fine sand 10% fine clay 10% chicken manure, 10% cow
manure, alight sprinkling of lime.Prep500,502-508. Each time i turn the
pile i add armfulls of comphrey and nettle, 20 litre bucket of worm
castings from the worm farm to kick start the process  and  sprinkle a
handful of Barrel Compost over the pile. I keep the heap covered with
weedmat that allows rain through but keeps out the birds and prevents
weed seed contamination. It also keeps the temperture more even and
bring the worms evenly through the whole heap. this make a very good
friable mix ready to use with out any screening except to cover the
seeds.I also use this as apotting mix by adding some fish and seaweed
meal about a month before use.All seedlings are then sprayed twice month
with a foliar tea. At planting time all plants are dipped into  Rooting
Compound  from Garuda Biodynamics to which i add  worm pee.

Cheers Tony Robinson
Rambler Flowers
NewZealand

Cheers Tony