From: Frank Teuton >
> I am unclear on just what balance between arboreal and pastoral needs to
be
> struck in our planet paradise paradigm. But I do not buy the simplistic
> notion that grazing leads, willy nilly, to desertification.
>
> How 'bout them turnips at Storch's, eh?
>
> Frank Teuton----dances with paradigms

Hey Frank how about this
The real problem in saharasia was a system that measured wealth and social
standing by the number of livestock owned - hence you get massive
overstocking and overgrazing - so the cattle starve and you bring in sheep -
when there is not enough grass to support sheep - the goats will still
thrive until they have ate every bush and shrub to the bare roots - have
seen this in the Australian bush a number of times with ferals - its not the
goats fault - they are the most amazing critters to rejuvenate degraded
range land when they are controlled in the appropriate numbers - too many
uncontrolled and they become the destroyers - desertification is a
management problem pure and simple caused by greed.
Goats are experts at gettin out of control too !!
Lloyd Charles