Probably not a problem in your area, Tom, but you have to watch
irrigation ditch water as a possible source of highly contaminated
runoff from your chemically managed neighbors. I read a study a while
back that California farmers who were trash pumping 'lost water' on
their off days (water that escaped from other farms and was fair game
for other growers downstream to use even if it wasnt' their water
day) were getting up to 3x as much insecticide as the maximum
recommended dosages. Of course, since these insecticides were not
'applied,' it's presence didn't affect subsequent applications of
more insecticides on the farm.

-Allan

PS But, boy, do I wish that we had an irrigation system here on the
west coast. Praise to the 19th cent Mormons, eh?