BD AND THE WIDE WORLD:  Last night  was at an organizational meeting of
the Sandpoint Farmers Market where the State Inspector, who is an
outrageous creative thinker and gardener, spoke on changes in organic
certification, etc.  I spoke to her afterwards and it turns out that she

was consulted over the registration of Pfeiffer Field Spray as a soil
amendment in Idaho.  She gave an analogy to the person who inquired
about BD preps that I will repeat as well as I can.

"Suppose someone had demons and enlisted the Pope to cast them out,
would the holy water he sprinkled need to be registered as a pesticide?"

The analogy is so far from how we think about BD, yet somewhere there's
some relevance, but if that's the only reference that person gets to BD,

then he'll not have a  chance of understanding WHO WE ARE.
She said the soil amendment laws are there for truth in advertising
related to the claims on the label.

In the meeting she had held up a bag that had held a commercial
fertilizer that was registered in Idaho.  It had in small letters at the

top "natural organic."  She said that "organic" for Idaho registration
meant "carbon based."  She told us to always look at the ingredients
which in the case of the bag she was holding was "sewage sludge," and
was not acceptable for certified organic growers or any  growers.  She
also went over the clopyralid residue on grass clippings that was in the

compost that was made at Washington State University in Pullman, WA, and

said to me in private that the parameters for Clopyralid usage on the
packaging had fine print that said that the recommendations given were
not adequate for sandy soil which is what we have in this area.  She
said, "No one reads the fine print."

To not to have to register Pfeiffer Field Spray, the label that was sent

with the application would need to define it so that it doesn't fit into
the
definition of a soil amendment in Title 22, Chapter 22, Soil and Plant
Amendments in Idaho statutes.  Otherwise, there's no way to amend the
law to spare 501(c)(3) non-profits from the necessity to pay $100 an
amendment to sell their preparations in Idaho.

I am really wondering how I'm going to be able to live in this
atmosphere.  I just want to withdraw.  I get so angry and then
depressed.  How do you go about communicating to the wide world about
Biodynamics?  I read writings like Jane's "Gathering Chi (was re:
agrisynthesis...)" and Gil's "Frank Moody," and resonate, but can hardly

grasp the full meaning myself.  If I do speak out, I fear
misunderstanding
at best and conscious twisting of the meaning at worst.  I'm afraid to
add
my BD point of view at meetings on composting because people would need
paragraphs and paragraphs of introduction.  The more I understand how
the preps work myself, the more inclined I will be to speak up.  I'm
hoping that my intuition will give me the green light on this soon.

At county weed advisory committee meeting, they talk so fast and throw
acronyms around, they have so much to cover in two hours.   Everything
is mind.  There is heart there underneath, but it is secondary.  There's

such an emphasis on legality.  How to apply a chemical to Eurasian
milfoil while the lake level is down so they don't have to follow
aquatic guidelines, but do it so the half-life will be over before the
water comes up.  I think to myself, "What will this do to children
swimming in that water this summer?"  They look at my face and they hush

up.  They're afraid for me to know what they're doing.  They're afraid
I'll cause a big stink.  They want to "do their job" without anyone
noticing.  I worry afterwards whether I should cause a stink or whether
it's better to just have someone organic on the weed committee to
listen, to keep bringing up the other point of view at meetings and to
try to fulfill what they SAY they want organically with holistic
planning on a small scale?

SOIL ANALYSIS:  In the Farmer's Market meeting, a certified organic
friend who helps me with the "Why Organic?" booth, gave me a handout in
response to a question I asked the Inspector about organic soil
analysis. The title of the handout was something like this:  "How to
convert a chemical soil analysis to an organic soil analysis."   Is this

possible?  I didn't get a chance to read it.  It was from U Georgia
Extension and its URL was www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/C853.htm, but I couldn't

find it on their website.

I'm afraid everyone here in North Idaho (including me) are neophytes in
soil analysis.  I even tried to read Albrecht Papers, but don't have the

patience needed to go through all his graphs.  I think I need a skyhook
before I tackle Albrecht again and some time to read and reread it.  I
wish I could suggest someone who REALLY knows about organic soil
analysis and how to amend deficiencies to give a seminar to the organic
growers here.  They always use someone from the U. of Idaho.

SFI SOIL TESTING:  I would like to vote for Elaine testing Pfeiffer
Field Spray along with all the other preparations and I will
contribute.   I believe that our good intentions and our desire to heal
the earth will make a difference, but it's a dark hour now.  I heard on
NPR this morning that Bush's appointees to the EPA have rewritten the
initiatives concerning power plant emissions that will make the air
dirtier.  They were characterized as illegal, dangerous changes--bad
policy.