Hi! Allan,

I have a question on the use of compost tea as a folia spray.

We have had two serious cases of bacterial poisoning that has been traced back to
Organic growers.

The first concerned orange juice made from a mixture of organic and conventional
fruit. Many people were poisoned and a major national brand nearly ruined by it.
When it was traced back to the grower, it was an organic grower, who was using
irrigation in an area with almost no rainfall and thus the folia spray had not
washed off the fruit when it was processed, resulting in the bacteria getting
into the fresh juice. (The whole orange is crushed, so anything on the skin can
be mixed in with the juice.)

The other was only a few days ago and from the early report it seems to be very
high bacteria counts in salad vegetables. This occurred in a very up market
establishment and may cause them to stop using organic product.

Is there a protocol for with holding and possibly seeing that there is some over
head watering, particularly for those in areas with little or no rain during the
growing period? In some parts of Oz, as good as no rain may fall during the whole
time some salad vegetables are in the garden. Should we make sure these are given
one or more over head waterings, between applying compost tea and harvest?