Allan,

It's fine you've apologized, but I wouldn't go overboard with it. Some
people have weak and defiled minds and can't help it, and you aren't
responsible for their state--they are. They will punish themselves
accordingly until they learn better. There is no reason you should shoulder
their burdens and their pain in addition to them doing so.

On topic, many years ago I was unable to find the arvense growing anywhere
near me, though the hymale grew abundantly in sugar cane ditches south of
here in both Georgia and Louisiana. So I asked my mentor, Peter Escher,
about the advisability of using the hymale. He allowed that I might as well
try it, even though the fine division of leaf in the arvense was a very
desirable plant gesture (relating to sulfur, which the spirit "moistens it
fingers" with in order to work into the physical--more or less as a
sculptor moulding clay) and it would be preferable to use it. So I
harvested a truckload of the hymale. It worked very well indeed. I could
see little difference between the two, though it was possible to buy the
arvense from Frontier in bulk at quite decent prices. Of course, a
truckload for the labor of cutting it with my scythe and loading it with my
pitchfork was much cheaper.

You'll notice that Courtney, at your conference, identified the equisetum
as the most under-used of the BD remedies. I'm not sure that is true,
especially if he is basing his view on how much equisetum is purchased from
him. His price doesn't compare with Frontier's bulk price, and it sure
doesn't match the truckload deal. But let me assure those who have the
hymale and don't have the arvense that the hymale works well and it can be
used in lieu of the arvense whenever need be. People using equisetum tea as
the fluid base in compost tea makers will doubtless want to use the most
cost effective type, whichever it may be. It is great on fruit trees and
tomatoes, and would be very good on leafy greens in wet periods.

Much of the roadblock to putting BD into practice is this crazy idea that
everything has to be done just so--as for example thinking one must use the
arvense since that is the one Steiner mentioned in his lectures. Keep in
mind that in Australia there is no horsetail whether arvense or hymale, so
what they use there is the Katurina, also known as the Sheoak. It isn't
even the same genus, let alone the same species. But it exemplifies the
same principle in its operation, which is what is important. If BD is to
wait until the perfect, ideal, ONLY right way of working is found we will
fail utterly in putting it into practice.

It is the same way with the so-called planting calendar. People sometimes
wait for the ideal constellation to plant in--and then it rains cats and
dogs and they either can't plant or make a hash of it and have a crop
failure. Weather is a bigger consideration than the planting calendar. What
is truly perfect is far more subtle, complex, amazing and beyond our grasp
than we can possibly imagine. So generally we imagine we are falling way
short of being perfect--when we are being more perfect than we realize.

Maybe what I'm saying is this. Shame, blame and regret are victim
trips--disempowering stuff. The notion that responsibility equals
assumption of guilt is equally disempowering. If one is to get things done
in life--in short, be empowered--one has to quit whining, take
responsibility (shoulder the load) and get to work. To commiserate, go into
agreement with other people's victim games, to heap coals on our own heads
and the heads of others--what kind of hope, joy, satisfaction will that
result in?

Growing up with a father who was in a wheel chair, it didn't dawn on me
until I was grown what a handicap it might be--because he never uttered a
word of regret or sorrow or self-pity, but seemed able to do anything he
set his mind to, which was a lot more than most other folks I knew.
Gradually I realized we are all handicapped in a wide variety of ways. So
what? So we have a choice to make the most out of it or not to. We can
enjoy life or not. One of the best ways to learn to enjoy life is to get
thrown in prison. It rather clairifies the fact one has a choice.

Richard Cory, who had every advantage in life, committed suicide. Job, who
had every kind of calamity befall him, unswervingly kept his faith up and
his spirits high. One was empowered. The other was not. Some people, with
nowhere near the supposed ideal in land, conditions, resources make BD work
beautifully. Others seem to fall short here or there and end up failing
completely. We have a choice.

Best,
Hugh Lovel

Visit our website at: www.unionag.org