----- Original Message -----
From: Allan Balliett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: Nutrient blockers

> Thanks, Tony. Would you mind being more precise with your
> recommendations, especially in regard to the humic acid? (I guess I
> really need the same info about the molasses, also.) Sort of "Which?
> What Kind of? How Much?" How frequently, and so on?
>
> Thanks! -Allan

Hi Allan
             Humic acid - we would use a good quality liquid formulation at
only about a litre to the hectare once or maybe twice a year with some
molasses 2 to 4 litres /hectare but am tending more to using it in a compost
based brew that results in about 150 to 200 ml per hectare per trip (say
three to five applications per year) of humic acid, fish, kelp, and molasses
in the brew, plus we will put about another 2 litres per hectare of molasses
in the sprayer tank at application. If you use a high quality powdered
humate such as the Gumat brand or similar I think the rate would be much
less.
             Molasses - we use as above in brew mix - and with just about
anything we spray - molasses is a great mixer, sticker, spreader, it helps
to mix components. We probably are using plenty of it - about 10 to 12
litres per hectare total per year - but usually applying only two to a
maximum of four litres at any one time. I use the heaviest rate on stubble
for breakdown and as a post sowing pre emergence weed deterrent with liqiud
calcium (calcium nitrate) - you could try calcium lignosulfonate or one of
the liquid limes for this purpose - mix 2 litres calcium with 4 to 6 litres
molasses per hectare.
Most times i have got a couple of litres of tank brew in too.
            Tony's usage will be different to mine and probably more
relevant to your situation - hope this is of some help.
Cheers
Lloyd Charles