I end up doing a lot of transplanting of plants. Mostly due to poor planning
in the first place, but that is another story.  One move in particular
stands out in my memory.

A few years ago I was forced to move a row of flowering crab apple trees I
had planted about 8 years earlier. They were huge and, worst of all, the
road project dictated that I move them in mid-July, which has to be the
worst time of the year for disrupting a plant. ( I think early Spring before
leaf-out is probably the very best time to do it.)

My secret weapon was adding RESCUE REMEDY in a bucket of water to the tree
immediately after transplanting it. I subsequently misted the trees with RR
and water every day for the next few days. I also placed white sheets over
the canopies to protect them from the blazing sun for several days. It is
now years later and every tree is alive and loving it's new location. I have
saved many traumatized plants with the RR. It works on the plant's nervous
system in the same manner as it works on ours (see the movie: "The Secret
Life of Plants" on this). This is perhaps the most important medication to
keep in the barn, home, car or stable. It will save lives.

The Farmer's Almanac gives exact times and dates for transplanting according
to the moon cycles. The moon advice for pruning is equally useful.

I found the information from Gil to be very insightful and helpful. I
especially like the idea of tagging North on the trees to insure the proper
orientation. I wish I had done that with all of  my transplants in the past.

Best wishes,

Will Winter, Tree Hugger