Another group's discussion turned to CSA last couple of days. Now
I'm intrigued, I know biodynamic farming was where the concept
probably began so I was wondering how many list members either
operate a CSA or belong to one?
Martha - I've operated CSA's for the past 4 years and plan to again this year.
CSA came to this country through the enlightened 3-Fold economic concepts of Steiner. Almost immediately, Robyn Van En started an American CSA movement, which was much more communal than today's typical CSA, but not as value-oriented as the Steiner CSA's. Unfortunatelly, the US Biodynamic Association was very ambivalent in their support for a national CSA program and we've seen CSA's move from a community movement that supports farmers to 'just another tool in the market farmers bag of marketing tools.'

The common enlightened definition of CSA is this one found at the Robyn Van En center page: http://www.csacenter.org

CSA is a relationship of mutual support and commitment between local farmers and community members who pay the farmer an annual membership fee to cover the production costs of the farm. In turn, members receive a weekly share of the harvest during the local growing season. The arrangement guarantees the farmer financial support and enables many small- to moderate-scale organic family farms to remain in business. Ultimately, CSA creates "agriculture-supported communities" where members receive a wide variety of foods harvested at their peak of ripeness, flavor and vitamin and mineral content.
In reality, in America today, there are cooperatives posing as CSAs, and many farms advertise their CSA as the Blue Ridge Center is advertising next year's CSA: ' This season we will offer a farm market, pick your own flowers and fruit, sales to restaurants, and a CSA!"

The availability of more 'organic' produce in local grocery stores will undoubtedly bring more stress to CSA's farmers in the near future.

To learn more about 'real CSA,' read Trauger Groh and Steve McFadden's swell 'Farms of the Future Revisted.' The vision in this book is truly inspiring and is a sad testament to what the world lost when this the CSA concept became dissipated.

Thankfully, some of the NE CSA members on this list can say that CSA life is still pristine for them and that does make me happy.

I have a table of what one farm offers and it's really not much food
for what they ask for subscriptions. 5 winter squash, 3 eggplants, 1
melon, etc.
Does this sound like reasonable harvests or rather skimpy ones?

Our goal has always been 1 bushel of seasonal produce per week per share. We have a 20week season. If I could harvest winter squash, eggplants and melon in the same week (and I guess I could if the weather stayed warm through September or I planted my winter squash earlier), I'd probably would throw in a couple of heads of heirloom lettuce, a bunch of chard and a bunch of kale and call that a share. (And keep all the beans and raab and beets and carrots and herbs and so on for myself...and the soup kitchens!!)

Our share will be around $400 this season. We've done price-outs on share boxes before and our produce is always cheaper than the market, PLUS the shareholder gains a dividend of freshness, wholesomeness and the common sense bonus of letting their money support someone who is tending the local viewshed rather than fatcats in broker offices in California.

-Allan