Allan, when I picked out those vegetables at random off this
farmer's chart,  I wasn't clear. From the chart it looks like these are
not a weekly offering, but the whole total amounts one member
may expect to receive for that year. It just didn't look like very
much to me.
8 bunch beets, 1-3 heads each, broccoli and cauliflower, 7 bunch
carrots, 3 dz ears of corn, 20 onions 6-12 cucumbers.
the largest to expect were of course, summer squash (15 lbs,
zucchini 15 lbs and tomatoes 21 lbs. Looking at it from the
subscriber point of view, if I'd been handed this chart and told it
would cost $450 for this much food, I don't think I'd be wanting to
participate. (How do you divide ONE melon or 3 eggplants for the
whole season?) It's from a farm in Massachusetts, and much of the
seasonal offerings are in August only.
She does plant some rows for 'pick your own' and those (cherry
tomatoes, string beans, edible pod peas and flowers) are basically
all you can pick. Since she offers no delivery of produce, it must all
be picked up on farm only, I imagine her customers take advantage
of the 'free for harvest' rows too. She allows 3 pumpkins but plants
some of the minis for the children to gather and take home, that's
different.

She also 'allows' her subscribers to come cut and haul off firewood.
Darn, wish I'd have thought of that, my fallen trees would have
gotten cleared much quicker that way <G>!
She's been a CSA for 6 years and has a waiting list. So she's
obviously doing things right, I just wondered about the amounts
offered.

< If I could harvest winter squash,
eggplants and melon in the same week >