Flylo,

>>I just didn't know quite how to tap into this large pool of hungry Houstonians. Nor, do I think I'm ready to do so this season.<<

Sounds like you've got a great resource of customers via your cousin. It's always easier for me to approach someone that I have any kind of connection to. Maybe you could get 5.. even 2 of your cousins co-workers that would want to buy from you this year on a limited scale... It would give you the chance to see if you like working with families... and  help you understand more of how the season works and what will be available when. I'm sure much of the learning process will only come with experience!!!

>>So, whether they would acknowledge or respect the fact they're helping maintain a family farmstead, as long as it's to their advantage, they're interested.<<

They may not even know that subscribing to a CSA could help maintain a family farmstead... or that respect for farmers or food is due. I generally don't see that we have those values in our culture. Working with these families could help broaden their knowledge of what being "health-conscious" is....

I convinced my sister to sign up for an organic year round buying club. She lives in Greensboro, NC. There is a grower in Linwood (about 30 miles away) that has a CSA in the summer, but also supplements with produce from COG (Carolina Organic Growers). COG was established in 1992 to help farmers in North and South Carolina market products. I do not know how things are going for them as far as how the business is going, but.. they are still in business and today that says something. From what I remember of a workshop I attended a few years ago.. their main route is Asheville to Wilmington (mountains to coast) via I-40. That passes right by Greensboro and the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market.

The CSA, my sister joined, has the option of only getting a CSA share or participating in the buying club. I think membership is $20. You need to order (fax or e-mail) by Sunday for a Thursday or Friday pick-up from the PT Farmers Market, or home delivery for an extra $5/week. The list is incredible!!! COG's mission is to help farmers in North and South Carolina (regional) but, they do have things that are obviously not local or regional.. bananas for instance. I would like to see better labeling on these products as to where they are coming from, but it's not my deal. The buying sheet she got was for November and December.
I can not comment on service as she has just joined, I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Perry