Whole Foods started out in Austin Tx of all places, 1980's, little
'hole in the wall'. Austin also has / had a good food co-op called
Wheatsfield which was bigger at the time. It's still there, but about
the same size, very family type atmosphere. WF is more glistening
supermarket style. When I was making goat milk soap on a large
scale I contacted them. Their criteria for non-food items was
strange, but not impossible (they wanted soap wrapped in plastic
and placed in boxes.) I wanted mine out where people could smell
it and touch it, just the opposite. They wanted 2000 bars per week
which was no problem at the time, but they wanted me to cut all
my other contracts, so they were the sole provider of my soap. But
they would offer no real contract nor guarantees that I'd have a
buyer 'forever'. Like Allan, I had to turn it down.

Later, (only 2 years ago) I attended a Biodynamic workshop in
Fredricksburg (small town other side of Austin). The instructor gave
a very basic intro to the preps and mostly showed off his collection
of books. Then went into an elaborate discussion on dowsing and
gave us some pendulums and rods to practice with (I was lousy at
it!). To show it's usefulness, he said he and a friend went to Whole
Foods and dowsed for energy, nutritional value in the fresh produce
aisles. He said the only thing that sparked the rods was a big table
full of grapes. Ironically, WF couldn't even sell them as organic.
They'd been grown organically alright, but they had arrived on a
truck with commercially grown grapes, and there was some
confusion about which was which. This guy and his friend were
'politely' asked to leave before the other customers caught on to
what they were doing.

So, though I like WF and admire how far they've come in the health
food industry, they DID treat it as an industry. To them, that
organically grown sticker is nothing more than a commodity.