Steve, you're so nice to spend the time to do this.  I will ponder.  I
can't imagine finding enough ramial wood chips in this land of fir,
larch, pine, cedar & hemlock.  They cut the softwood and leave the
hardwood--birch, alder, cottonwood and others.  I just wanted to
establish the benefits of hardwood chips.

What I was looking at wood chips for was for a special area which is
parking for "The Falls,"  a place where you climb down stepping stones
from the road level to a very turbulent rapids-like falls that goes into
a pool.  People often stop there and look and also fish.  The edge of
the parking area is a rampant common tansy bed.  The Weed Supervisor has
made noises about having a dump truck load of cedar chips put there.
What I actually wanted to do was divide the area into at least two
parts--one cedar and one ramial wood chips and watch it long term for
growing something instead of tansy.  I thought that the cedar area
wouldn't grow anything at all and that the ramial chips would also kill
the tansy, but would encourage mycorrhizal fungi and eventually grow
local native forest plants, etc.  This comparison might be valuable.
I'm trying to teach the Weed Committee and our world here to think in
terms of a forest community--plants and soil biota rather than only in
terms of the "absence of 'noxious' weeds" mentality that leaves bare
disturbed soil that will be even more weedy.  We are going to do a weed
education project with 4-H with a cash prize for the group that hands in
the best weed herbarium. I'm trying to get them to have an alternate
project on the soil food web.

I probably wouldn't buy plant starts.  I like to grow starts myself and
I'm always transplanting 'weeds' from our garden to the road
right-of-way, a mile and a half down the hill from our place where they
have become a small native ornamental garden around a 'NO SPRAY' sign.
I have $923 left in the cost-share grant this year.  I have gathered
native grass seeds from our meadow and looked into buying some mixed
native grass seed which I would probably germinate in flats and plant
out, especially since Idaho fescue is a spotty, slow germinator.  Clover
is a great germinator and drought survivor.

In thinking about a county-wide, cost-effective IPM weed control
strategy, I'm thinking about the addition of clover, microorganisms,
micronutrients (on a gross scale--you can't test the soil every mile),
then a very thick stand of low growing grass that won't need mowing at
all and maybe sow some yarrow and Rocky Mountain penstemon seeds (They
came up wild on my private right-of-way patch when I pulled out the
knapweed over a long period of time.  Now I have a strong stand of
penstemon.)  Our original vision statement said "wildflowers," but this
is so hard that I'm willing to settle just for grass, but I still dream
of having wildflowers that come up all season.

We are testing 20% vinegar this year and had good luck with urea on
hawkweed.  In the fall we laid out a test plot in a thick solid knapweed
stand and hand dug up all the knapweed except the little rosettes and
sprayed Bruce Tainio's micronutrients from a soil test + his
microorganisms (very expensive) + his enzymes, then sowed clover seeds
in that.  It was late, but it was warmer a much longer time than usual
after that.  We had some snow, then rain.  I'm very interested in how
this looks this spring.  It should be very dramatic.  Our flame weeding
is done with our own weed torch which is just a metal tube with a
butterfly valve at the handle hooked to a propane tank in a back pack.
It set tansy back, but didn't kill it all.

Your DeWitt Sunbelt Weed Barrier sounds too expensive.  The newspaper
under the hardwood chips sounds excellent.  Steve, I'm not above digging
weeds in rainy weather.  We do have to get rid of the weeds.

This road and the whole area is glacial till.  We have wind blown laos
coming off western grain fields in eastern Washington.  This was a
forest next to an agricultural area.  There used to be a railroad in
here to take logs out, long, long ago.  There were only several
pioneering families living here with a short road.  Now it's an 8-mile
road that gets more primitive the farther in you go with 300 families.
At the beginning are four ranches, then a bridge over a river, a
wonderful store with laundromat and showers, followed by houses close to
and facing the road, then we have private roads off the feeder road and
people mostly living off road, but still some on the road. One old
family that owns a whole section of land on the road are pro-chemical
and they sprayed 2,4-D on their right-of-way, so we are truly IPM.  We
have three miles where the county ditched several years ago but didn't
reseed.  It's just sand with a few weeds starting.  It's mostly open to
the sun, but the couple of miles has forest right up to the road and is
shady--bare on one side and with various mixtures of moss, kinnickinnick
(bearberry), native grass mixed with tansy, knapweed, hawkweed and
thistle!!!  At this point, I'm laughing.  The climate is extremely
varied from year to year.  Generally, it rains a bit in the spring and
everything is green till sometime in July when the rail stops and it
gets in the 90s.  It's in 70s 80s before that.  Then there's no rain at
all in August and September and it started to get cooler and rains in
the fall.  Then snow and cold--varying extremely in temperature and
snowfall.  It actually rained here this winter several times.  It's
snowing up a storm right now here.

Well, Steve, thanks again.  Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help below.  (Allan, I couldn't bear to erase it.
Sorry.)

Right now everybody in the county just lets the weed supervisor take
care of all the right-of-ways, except individual organic families who
take care of their own right-of-way and our whole road project.  I want
more and more people to become motivated in contributing to a clean
environment and take care of their own right-of-way.  On the other hand,
I would be satisfied if we got our weeds under control and everthing
gorgeous and that got the county to try and motivate other roads to do
the same.  A hundredth monkey syndrome.

The cost-share grant is only for control, not for research, but the Weed
Supervisor says he wants test plots side-by-side with control plots that
show a dramatic change so he can take pictures which will be the only
thing that will communicate to the Bonner County Weed Committee and the
State Committee.  Just having this road weed-free would be an amazing
communication.

At the last Weed Committee meeting, the Farm Bureau member brought their
concerns to the Committee which included spraying herbicide on the
gravel pits "so we won't be spreading weed seeds when we spread
gravel."  The suggestions from the committee in this order were: Tordon,
Escort and flame weeding.  I just sent a copy of the Phillip Callahan
interview to my nemesis, Randy, in hopes that he would have the
intelligence (that I know he has) and the flexibility (which I doubt
that he has because of cognitive dissonance) to recognize that the
gravel pits could have a wealth of paramagnetic gravel and dust which
would be invaluable for revitalizing used up soil.  Who knows, maybe the
seawater vest would cure his arthritis?  I know I'm asking a lot.  He
will probably conclude that Phillip Callahan is a weird-o.

I am thinking about how to administer the grant this season and have
been wanting to blow up the 8 1/2 x 11 copy of the county plot map of
our road to 11 x 17 and try to put all test plots we have and the
various areas of outstanding weed, on it so I can organize this.  People
are willing to help if I give them specific, small, several-hour jobs to
do.  I desperately need to involve everybody on the road in this and
it's my worst talent--yakety-yaking up and down the road.  I hate
knocking on doors and signs and letters don't seem to do any good.
Telephone call are O.K. too.  I wish I had a board.  My failing, I'm
sure.

My Quaker mentor, Lois Wythe, who started the Panhandle Environmental
League, the Farmer's Market and the Native Plant Arboretum and Society
is so good at motivating people.  She's an excellent speaker and
organizer, but she's in her 80s now and not well, but still gives
classes.  Her latest organization--the Native Plant Society--has over
100 members and they are hosting a talk on GMOs by Chuck Benbrook this
coming Saturday.  I'd give anything to be able to motivate this road as
she has motivated this county.

Best,

Merla