IMHO embedded Linux is now not that much different to Linux desktop systems. I have worked with Linux for many years and it is refreshing that embedded silicon has now become powerful enough to run a full fledged Linux system rather than stripped down systems such as uCLinux. My suggestion is to become familiar with the basics of *nix. Once those are learned, then the transition to the embedded Linux world should be relatively painless.

Just my 2 cents,

Dave.