I agree with Dave Lambert. Linux is Linux. The only difference is, you're
also most likely going to be playing with different peripherals compared to
say a PC. *Maybe*.

Or more correctly in my own case, Debian is Debian. Which is what I use on
my own BBB. The only differences for me is learning *how* to interact with
I2C, I2S, SPI, UART, etc.

So, if you're a complete newb to Linux. I would recommend installing some
version in a virtual machine. Then just start learning. Maybe pick up a
book or two on entry level embedded Linux.

The "Embedded Linux.primer" book is a pretty good book, and possibly a good
place for you to start. There are also other books suck as Linux Device
Drivers ( also known as LDD ) which will give you some idea of what is
going where drivers are concerned. This last book can be had on the
internet for free, but also sold many copies in dead tree format. Plus
there are almost certainly more books on the subject for sale old and new.
Jason Kridners book "Bad to the bone" might be a good book for you as well.
Also, that Maker guy ( cant think of his name offhand ) also recently
released a book covering the beaglebone.

There are also lots, and lots of sources on the internet. Derek Malloy has
a youtube channel that covers different aspects of electronics, as well as
the Beaglebone, RPI, and one other embedded device ( no OS ). You just need
to look around, and sometimes you need to look "harder".