Yes, it is working good for me.  :)

But after reading the happy new year message, I have also been wondering
that if the standard release will be Debian, should I try building my own
images from the links that were listed there for both the actual image and
kernel?

But if I do, should I stick with the 3.8 kernel?  Or 3.12 or 3.13?

My assumption is the build scripts assume I am running linux.  Can dual
boot to this on my main dev machine to Linux Mint, or could use my NUC
which I think right now I have running Ubuntu 13.04.

A few more things to investigate:
1) If I build an image and write it to an SD card, can I try it out (boot
off of it) without it overwriting the EMMC?

2) I am trying to learn ROS and convert my code of at least one of my
robots to use it.  I tried building it on my BBBk, but don't think 2gb is
enough storage to build even the minimal install from sources.  Some
options to look at:
a) Is there some place to apt-get install from? I saw a posting for
downloading on Angstrom and maybe Ubuntu... More to look at.
b) Run off of SD card with more storage?

3) Boot off of EMMC, but have more storage external.  SD or USB thumb???

Sorry about the rambling, just thoughts about things for me to try out