On 07/02/14 02:51, hacktorious wrote:

> Why on earth is my BBB obtaining an ip from an external source when
> connected via eth0???

It's not. It's providing it's own address. You likely want it to get an
address from an external source - the DHCP server on your router..

> Internally dhcp is distributing 192.168 something, but the BBB is getting
> 169. something.  I'm not able to get internet access from the BBB, but if I
> visit the ip address I can see my BBB's website........ WTF?????  This is
> total insanity!!!

169.254.x.x are IPv4 link-local autoconfigured addresses. i.e. the BBB
didn't get a DHCP response and picked a random 169.254.x.x address itself
instead.
It should still broadcast for DHCP, so if your DHCP server ever starts
handing out addresses it should pick one up and start working.

See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927 for an explanation of IPv4 link local
addresses.