Thanks for the response!

I have just been following various tutorials online that use the following
command.

Maybe even the following

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o wlan0 -m conntrack --ctstate
RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan0 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT

Allowing the packets coming in via the ad-hoc wlan to be forwarded onward
via ethernet.

I've seen this in several tutorials of sharing internet whether via usb or
wlan.

However, if I run that command on the beaglebone I get an error saying
iptables needs to be updated.

can't initialize iptables table `nat': (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I'll look into gated a little more. I'm looking for any simple solution
that works.