Hi,

If you want to use /etc/network/interface as a configuration file you start
the network services with the command *ifup -a*. If you can define the wifi
interface in /etc/network/interface then it will automatically started as
well. ie  I am talking about a static configuration, where the network
interfaces are configured and started just after boot (using system). It is
assumed the wifi dongle remains permanently plugged into the bbb.

Netmanager is useful for dynamic situations. ie You want automatic
detection of your wi-fi dongle whenever it is plugged in.

Netmanager will allow you to specify a static IP address for the Ethernet
interface. You will need to have a look at the man pages.

Regards ...