Xenomai includes a "dohell" script that can generate disk and network
load.  You can always just "dd" to a file for a while.

If you're running a Debian/Ubuntu based system, I've found that running
"aptitude upgrade" if you have a few dated packages can be a major
stress to the system.  That gets you both network and disk load, and not
so long ago had a decent chance of wedging the eMMC kernel driver (even
without the Xenomai patches that 'tickled' the eMMC driver bug and made
it more likely to happen).

Opening GUI programs and moving windows around is another good stress.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net