Thanks for you tips. I am using a minimal Ubuntu system without a full
desktop that is based on
http://www.armhf.com/index.php/boards/beaglebone-black/#precise. I used
apt-get to update the system. The integrated eMMC and HDMI are deactivated.

To create a network stress I used Ubuntu's iperf in server mode from
another ssh shell while running stress and cyclictest at the same time. The
transfer rate to another Ubuntu box reached 94.7 MBit/s and > 100MB were
copied. The latency numbers did not change.