Karl Longen <2frikkincra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    BTW you have never tried to code pages and pages using just VI
>    probably....

I have used it since some time in the mid 1980s, so I am fairly
familiar with it - and it's available on *every* platform I program on
which is a big advantage.  (Not to mention that I use it for composing
E-Mail, Usenet messages, etc.)

>    Any person in their right state of mind would not use VI, unless you are
>    writing short programs (like shell script), or very simple applications.
>    Renounce to auto correction, color syntax, auto completion, and a ton more
>    of functionalities, when you are coding millions of lines, is not

Er, have you looked at recent versions of vi!  :-)

>    different from running win 3.1 on a modern computer :)
>    As much as I love terminal, there are things that are not feasible without
>    a good text editor with plenty of functions; without even mentioning the
>    pros of a real IDE, when you need to debug and such.

As I said, editor in one window, make in the next, testing in the next
(i.e. the debugger).

I'm semi-retired now but I used to work on systems with several
million lines of code, everyone used either EMACS or vi.

--
Chris Green
ยท