On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM,  <botheringelectr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jason and Robert: well done for this fine upgrade! Seems like a lot of
>> things are really coming together very quickly.
>
> Hardware: BBB A5C; OS Version: Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone41 #1 SMP Tue Mar
> 4 22:51:47 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> Tried it last night and a lot of things are working well.
> Cloud9 IDE debugging works perfectly for javascript. Just have to remember
> to hit the > button to start the debug running.

I'd love to disable this "debug" feature by default, if you happen to
find a fix, I'll add it to the image.

> I tried the python sample also, but could not get that to work. I'll
> investigate more.
>
> My trusty WNA1100 works out of the box with the addition of:
>     wpa-ssid "MySSID"                    #SSID name
>     wpa-psk  "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xx" #PSK hex string
> into /etc/network/interfaces under wlan0 section.
> The Netgear WNA1100 (Atheros chipset) is indeed the most reliable Wifi
> adapter I have found yet.
>
> My UWN200 (which was very reliable under later Angstrom versions) now works
> on debian after modifying the /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA directory name and
> adding the wpa-ssid/wpa-psk to the ra0 section of /etc/network/interfaces.
> However, I notice that the UWN200 pumps out a lot of DMESGs every 2 seconds
> or so. I had the same problem in 3.8.13-bone40 after compiling the kernel
> module from the Mediatek sources. I think there may be a debug flag turned
> on in the driver config, causing the frequent DMESGs. I'll check this out
> and see if they can be easily stopped.

For reference, I'm using this Mediatek source version:
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/thirdparty/MT7601/DPO_MT7601U_LinuxSTA_3.0.0.4_20130913.tar.bz2

So If you find the config flag to quiet dmesg, i'll add it to the build snipit.

https://github.com/rcn-ee/farm/blob/master/thirdparty/MT7601.sh

> The WNA1100 driver is very quiet in comparison.
>
> I have a TP-Link TL WN725N lying around somewhere (Realtek chipset) that
> I'll try out also. (I could not get this working reliably in Angstrom -
> flung in a drawer somewhere!)
>
> One question springs to mind: if I want to run the BBB as a headless server
> with Node.js and Cloud9, is there anything I can remove from the installed
> software packages that would be superfluous if I'm not using HDMI, lxde and
> so on?

This should clear most of the lxde/xorg package set:

apt-get remove -y x11-common ; apt-get autoremove

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/