Thanks for your help, and all your hard work, Robert. I have used your
documentation extensively.

When I execute "./autogen.sh --with-gui=x11" either directly on the bone,
from a an LXTerminal session, or over ssh I get the same end result. it's
basically the same thing I saw when trying to cross build.

checking string usability... no
checking string presence... no
checking for string... no
checking list usability... no
checking list presence... no
checking for list... no
checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
checking for _Bool... yes
checking for working strtod... yes
./configure: line 4987: syntax error near unexpected token `XINPUT,'
./configure: line 4987: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XINPUT, x11 xext xi inputproto)'