Thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.  This is like drinking from a
fire hose :)

I have a couple of questions.

I read your spreadsheet and find the following

pru0 has for output bits [0 - 7] and 14, 15
pru0 has for input bits [0-7] and 14, 15, 16

pru1 has for outputs [0 - 15]
pru1 has for inputs [0 - 16]

I am currently using pru0 simply because it is before pru1.  Is there a
drawback to using pru1 over pru0.
my application will be focused on using about 12 input pins and the only
other resource on the beaglebone is the ethernet port.

If I wanted all the pins for pru0 as are on the pru1 I would have to learn
the pinmux utility.  I will eventually figure this out,  I'm just looking
to make some progress before I have to move to the next step.